The five hospitals affiliated with Samaritan Health Services have awarded a total of $198,022 in Social Accountability grants to 25 local service organizations, to be distributed over the next 12 months.
Social Accountability grants are awarded within Benton, Lincoln and Linn. Funding decisions are made by committees consisting of employees and board members at each Samaritan-affiliated hospital. Funded programs typically address unmet needs of underserved populations and improve overall community health.
Social Accountability grants are part of the larger Samaritan Community Health Promotion/Community Benefit program, which encompasses the organization’s efforts to build healthier communities by providing direct and in-kind support for health-related services such as health screenings, health professions education, health research and community health activities.
Community Benefit also encompasses the charity care that Samaritan provides to low-income patients. In 2012, Samaritan invested more than $125 million in community benefit activities and services.
2013 Social Accountability grants awarded:
- Benton County Oral Health Coalition - $35,000 for oral health support
- Center Against Rape and Domestic Violence - $18,000 for transitional housing services for domestic violence survivors
- Corvallis Drop-in Center - $2,500 to support transportation to medical appointments
- Linus Pauling Institute, Oregon State University - $10,000 for the Healthy Cooking for Families program
- Old Mill Center - $26,400 for the Rally Around Families Together Relief Nursery
- Court Appointed Special Advocates of Lincoln County - $3,900 to support training for court-appointed special advocates
- Centro de Ayuda - $3,900 for the Community Health Education and Medical Interpreters program
- Children’s Advocacy Center of Lincoln County - $3,900 to support child abuse assessments
- Food Share of Lincoln County - $5,000 for the Local Growing, Growing Healthy program
- Innovative Concepts for Families of Lincoln County - $3,900 to support the Eat Fresh - Grow Some Yumm… program
- Lincoln City Meals on Wheels - $5,000 for the Senior Meals on Wheels program
- Lincoln County Joint Transportation Committee and Lincoln County Transit - $5,000 for the Lincoln County Medical Access Partnership
- Neighbors for Kids - $9,900 for the My Health, My Life program
- Retired Senior Volunteer Program - $8,900 for the Healthy Living for Seniors program
- ABC House - $12,000 for counseling and advocacy program
- Boys & Girls Club of Albany - $7,750 for oral health support for children
- Court Appointed Special Advocates of Linn County - $2,500 to support training for court appointed special advocates
- Family Tree Relief Nursery - $7,000 for the Early Childhood Therapeutic Preschool Program
- Fish of Albany - $7,000 for guest house support
- Fish of Lebanon - $3,500 for emergency basic needs for Lebanon families
- Lebanon Basic Services - $3,000 to purchase and distribute hygiene items and basic household supplies
- Pregnancy Alternatives Center - $4,000 for the Healthy Moms and Safe Babies program
- St. Vincent de Paul of Lebanon - $3,000 for food pantry support
- Sweet Home Emergency Ministries - $7,000 to provide milk and hot meals
- Sweet Home Pregnancy Care Center - $2,072 for the Baby Safety program
Learn more about Samaritan’s community benefit activities at samhealth.org/CommunityBenefit.