The start of a new year is right around the corner and the new year is a perfect opportunity to start down that road to a brand new you. If you have tried time and time again to reach your fitness goals but have come up short for one reason or another, use these quick six tips this time around to help you stay focused!
- Ask yourself why. Noting is more important than identifying the core reason why you want something. Really ask yourself why you want to do this, and then remind yourself of what that is each and every day.
- Set short term goals…really short term. Long term goals just don’t work. Identify what you want to accomplish this week, or even just today. Focus on that goal and once it is accomplished, build upon it.
- Utilize local resources. If you aren’t sure where to start, your best bet is to seek out local resources such as a personal trainer or fitness center. Finding a trained professional to help you along the way can make all the difference.
- Find a partner. Having someone to hold you accountable is an invaluable resource. Find someone who you can trust to keep you on track, and then do the same for them.
- Don’t dive in head first. Taking on too much at once will not only burn you out but may be more than your body can handle. Start slow and challenge yourself every couple of days to increase your intensity or duration.
- Reward yourself. When you do reach your identified goals or milestones, reward yourself with something you have wanted such as that new T-shirt, pair of jogging shoes or a sports massage.
For additional questions or assistance with getting your New Year's goals off to a great start, stop by SamFit in Corvallis and Lebanon for a free tour of our facilities and to meet our team of fitness specialists.