- Have a fear of falling? Feel unstable when you’re outdoors?
- Lack confidence going up or down stairs?
- Have a hard time getting up from the floor?
- Avoid squatting down or standing up from a low seat?
- Experience pain, weakness or limited flexibility that keeps you from participating in activities you used to enjoy –hiking, dancing, gardening, bowling?
Just in time for gardening! This movement class will help you learn to get up and down confidently to reduce the risk of falls.
Join Heartspring Wellness Center for a class that explores a series of movements designed to help you learn to get down to the floor comfortably, smoothly, gracefully and up from the floor easily, lightly, safely. You will develop greater flexibility and strength of legs, hips and spine by moving effortlessly and with more awareness. You will also explore ways of "falling" without injury to build confidence and enhance your balance abilities to prevent falls.
All movements will be comfortable, easy and within your ability. Most of the time class will take place while sitting in chairs. This innovative method of neuromuscular re-education will increase your awareness of yourself and how you move.
Instructor Joan Clapper is an occupational therapist with Samaritan Health Services, and has taught Feldenkrais movements classes for 15 years in medical and community settings.
When: Mondays, 5:30pm to 6:15pm; April 9, 16, 23, 30
Where: Heartspring Wellness Center, 1700 Geary St SE, Albany
Instructor: Joan Clapper, MA, OTRL, CFP
Cost: $12 single class or $40 for the four-week series
More information: Call (541) 812-5656