We are rooted in the communities we serve, and we are proud to be a part of the history of Albany, Corvallis, Lebanon, Lincoln City and Newport and the surrounding communities. Our employees -- including physicians, nurses, technicians, social workers and dozens of other professionals -- are part of the community as well. They're proud to serve as active volunteers, non-profit board members, coaches, and church and community leaders.
It's only natural, then, that we would see the importance of extending our health care mission beyond the walls of the hospitals and physician clinics and into the community at large. Whether it's helping to support a health-related non-profit organization, volunteering at a low-cost medical clinic, providing a scholarship to a student pursuing a health care career, or offering free health screenings, we value our involvement in community health.
2012 financial overview of SHS Community Benefit activities
- Charity care: $20,379,000
- Unpaid cost of public programs: $76,928,000
- Community health improvement services: $1,198,000
- Health professions education: $4,649,000
- Subsidized health services: $18,373,000
- Cash and in-kind contributions: $2,533,000
- Research: $634,000
- Community building activities: $948,000
- Community benefit operations: $212,000
To learn more about Community Benefit activities at SHS, read our 2013 Community Health Impact Report.