With help from trained volunteers, individuals in our communities may be able to maintain a degree of independence during a time of serious illness. Samaritan Transitions is a non-medical program offered in the recipient’s home. After training, a volunteer is matched to a person in need, providing:
• Companionship and emotional support
• Transportation when appropriate
• Assistance with errands and small projects
• Food preparation and/or shopping
• Respite breaks for family or caregivers
• Walking a family pet
• Connection to community resources
Samaritan Transitions volunteers must be 18 years of age or older. The level of commitment is two to four hours per week.
An informational meeting for volunteers will take place Wednesday, Feb. 25, from 1 to 2 p.m. at Samaritan Evergreen Hospice House in Albany. Please call 541-812-4677 for more information.