Packed with vitamins, calcium, potassium and many other nutrients, kale is definitely a superfood. It’s also a multi-use vegetable: It can be added to everything from pasta and soups to smoothies.
Pick up some kale today from your local grocery store or farm stand.
What’s so great about kale?
- Good source of minerals such as calcium and potassium
- One cup provides more than 100 percent of the daily value of vitamins A, C and K
- Mild taste — may be slightly bitter, pairs well with sweet fruits
- Harvest after first frost for best flavor
- Grows in several colors: green, blue-green, white or purple
- Smooth leaves have a milder taste; curly leaves have a stronger flavor
What’s the best way to eat kale?
- Add chopped kale to pasta in the last five minutes of cooking. Season with herbs or a drizzle of olive or sesame seed oil
- Sauté, stir-fry or steam
- Substitute for spinach or collard greens in recipes
- Add to soups
- Chop and add to salads