Your residency is a pivotal moment in your medical education – it can determine what path you take in your career, what kind of experiences you will have and what your future will hold. So, how do you choose what program is right for you?
To us, it’s all about finding the right fit. It’s about finding a program that speaks to your medical interests and the kinds of patients you want to serve, and also offers you the kind of lifestyle you envision for yourself.
Here are six reasons why a Samaritan residency program could be a great fit for you:
1. Program culture – The intimacy of our residency programs offers unique opportunities to be connected with your fellow residents, core faculty and directors on a day-to-day basis. This level of connection offers closer instruction and support throughout your residency experience.
2. Respected faculty – To become your best, you have to learn from the best. At Samaritan, our faculty is a key asset of the program. They are experts in their field and incredibly dedicated to the learning of their students.
3. Work-life balance – You come to a residency program for high quality medical education, but we also know that your experience is bigger than that. While life as a resident is certainly demanding, we make sure you find the work-life balance that you need to be able to enjoy your personal life, spend time with your family and more.
4. Location, location, location – With hospitals and clinics located in the beautiful mid-Willamette Valley and central Oregon coast, a residency at Samaritan offers endless opportunity for outdoor exploration. Whether you enjoy hiking, biking, water sports, camping or other outdoor activities, our communities are here to answer your call for adventure.
5. High quality medical experiences – A quality medical education relies on the types of experiences you get, and our five hospitals and many medical clinics offer a diverse case load. During experiences at many of the locations, residents are exposed to a wide range of pathology and acuity to help expand the depth of medical knowledge.
6. Support and collaboration – As an organization, Samaritan has recognized the importance of teaching the next generation of physicians, and with that comes a strong sense of program support. The great track record of the program has also provided opportunities for Samaritan residents to partner with bigger hospitals in the area, like OHSU and Legacy Emanuel, to experience cases that may be less common in our area.
Learn more about why a Samaritan residency might be the right fit for you at samhealth.org/GME.