Root vegetables are in season. Turnips are a great root vegetable, loaded with nutrients, so they are our Pick of the Month!
Turnips add a lot of flavor, as well as a lot of calcium and potassium to stews and roasted vegetable dishes. Try mashing them with your white potatoes, or roasting them with your sweet potatoes.
Pick up some fresh turnips today from your local grocery store or farm stand.
What’s so great about turnips?
- Turnips are fat-free.
- They’re a good source of calcium and potassium, and they’re low in calories and sodium.
- Grocery stores carry them year-round, but the best time to find them is from October to March.
What’s the best way to eat turnips?
- Cook them for a sweeter flavor.
- Most popular methods are pickling, boiling, roasting and mashing.
- Mix with other vegetables in a hearty stew.
- Mix with mashed potatoes for an exciting new twist.