Up to 1.5 million visitors from around the world are expected in Oregon this summer for the solar eclipse. Samaritan Health Services will offer extended hours and additional clinic locations for walk-in care, along the central Oregon Coast and mid-Willamette Valley, from Friday, Aug. 18 through Tuesday, Aug. 22. For more information, including clinic locations and hours, visit samhealth.org/Eclipse.
Meanwhile, we offer these tips for the eclipse weekend:
For your health
- Get doctor/dentist appointments out of the way in advance — before Thursday, Aug. 17, if possible.
- Pick up prescriptions and medical supplies at least a week in advance.
- If your pharmacy makes deliveries, they may not be able to provide this service during the event (likely limited or not available Friday through Monday).
- Take special care for health and safety during this time, as getting medical care over the eclipse weekend could take more time than usual.
- Drink plenty of water, wear sunscreen and keep a first aid kit on-hand.
- Do not look at the sun or the eclipse unless you have eclipse viewing glasses.
- If you need immediate care for an illness or injury, know the appropriate type of health care facility to go to for the kind of care you need. For helpful information, visit samhealth.org/WhereToGo.
- Gas up your car, stock up on groceries and stop at the bank or ATM for cash in advance.
- Anticipate heavy traffic and long lines in stores for goods and services.
- Expect limited cell phone and internet service.
- Know when it is appropriate to call 911. Have the non-emergency phone number on-hand for your local dispatch center.
Have a safe and happy summer and enjoy the eclipse!