The 2017 Mullins Charitable Event dinner and Samaritan Scramble golf tournament raised $211,500 for health care-related causes throughout Benton, Lincoln and Linn counties.
Held in late August, the event drew more than 300 people to the dinner at the Boulder Falls Center and 120 players to the golf tournament at Mallard Creek Golf Course in Lebanon.
Included in the total amount raised was $4,000 for Larry Mullins, president and CEO of Samaritan Health Services, to wear his red, white and blue golf outfit to work for a day in late August. Mullins initially wore the outfit to the dinner, which had a Caddyshack attire theme.
Since the Mullins Charitable Event began in 2015, the fund has distributed more than $450,000 to a large number of organizations in Benton, Lincoln and Linn counties. The organizations include:
- Boys and Girls Club of Corvallis - Center for Youth Excellence
- Philomath School District - HERO bullying prevention program
- Greater Albany Public Schools - Source of Strength suicide prevention training
- QPR Institute - Suicide prevention and awareness training
- Heartland Humane Society - Humane education program
- Samaritan Mental Health - Mental Health & You Application, which provides information and resources on mental health services in your area
- Good Samaritan Hospital Foundation - Employee Emergency Fund and Mario Pastega House
- Parenting Success Network - Parenting Education Class
- Samaritan Health Services - 2017 Abuse Prevention Summit
- Corvallis Arts Center - Young Artists Program for at-risk youth
- North Lincoln Hospital Foundation - Samaritan Early Learning Center
- Pacific Communities Hospital Foundation - Center for Health Education
- Lebanon Community Hospital Foundation - Samaritan Treatment & Recovery Services
- Albany General Hospital Foundation - Sarah’s Place, a treatment center for survivors of sexual violence
- Samaritan Veterans Outreach
- Mullins Healthy Children’s Fund
- Larry A. Mullins Endowed Scholarship for Health Care Education, which provided scholarships to six students total for the 2017-18 academic year
- Mental Health First Aid Training - for more than 500 participants in Benton, Lincoln and Linn counties
- Lilly’s Lope for Hope – Annual suicide awareness run
Winners of the golf tournament were:
- First-place gross score of 59: Barker-Uerlings Insurance – Steve Uerlings, Kevin Schlegel, John Boydston and Curt Gonzalez
- First-place net score of 53.1: Saalfeld Griggs: Dan Reynolds, Eric Robertson, John Griffin and Wayne Kinkade
- Men’s Closest to the Pin Contest: Gregg Oliveras (hole 3) and Todd Predmore (hole 15)
- Women’s Closest to the Pin Contest: Heather McDaniel (hole 3) and Jennifer Motsenbocker (hole 15)
- Men’s Long Drive Contest: Billy Kelso (hole 5) and John Griffin (hole 17)
Intalere was the 2017 event’s presenting sponsor. Major sponsors included GBC Construction; Keating, Jones, Hughes, P.C.; Arthur J. Gallagher & Co., Howard S. Wright-A Balfour Beatty Company and Willamette Dental Group.