Who doesn’t like the simplicity of a one-pan entrée? Turn to this recipe for a quick, delicious, plant-based meal that you can throw together at a moment’s notice with foods you probably already have in the pantry. Try pairing with a green salad or veggies for a complete meal.
Mexican Pan Quinoa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 15-ounce can no added salt black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5-ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup corn frozen corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and onion, and cook, stirring frequently until onions start to become transparent.
- Stir in quinoa, vegetable broth, beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder, and cumin; season with pepper to taste. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer until quinoa is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Stir in avocado, lime juice, and cilantro.
- Serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings. Recipe adapted from Cook Like a Champion
Nutritional information per serving:
- Calories: 310
- Protein: 11 g
- Carbohydrates: 44 g
- Sodium: 244 mg
For more healthy recipes, keep an eye out for our “Pick of the Month” series or peruse past recipes.