The five hospitals of Samaritan Health Services have awarded a total of $450,000 in Social Accountability grants to local service organizations, to be distributed over the next 12 months.
Social Accountability grants are awarded within Benton, Lincoln and Linn counties. Funding decisions are made by committees consisting of employees and board members at each Samaritan-affiliated hospital. Funded programs address unmet needs of underserved populations and improve overall community health.
Social Accountability grants are part of the larger Samaritan Community Benefit program, which encompasses the organization’s efforts to build healthier communities by providing direct and in-kind support for services such as health screenings, health professions education, health research and community health activities.
Community Benefit also encompasses the charity care that Samaritan provides to low-income patients. In 2017, Samaritan invested more than $156 million in community benefit activities and services.
To be eligible for funding, programs must:
- Focus on unmet needs in underserved populations.
- Be collaborative, involving partnerships with other organizations.
- Focus on improving the health status in the community.
- Use quality indicators to measure progress and outcomes, reporting results and sharing them widely to attract more resources.
- Plan for self-sufficiency, where appropriate.
This year’s Social Accountability grants were awarded to:
- Benton County Drug Treatment Court
- Benton County Oral Health Coalition
- Center Against Rape and Domestic Violence (CARDV)
- Corvallis Environmental Center
- Corvallis Housing First
- Faith, Hope and Charity, Inc.
- Jackson Street Youth Services
- Old Mill Center for Children and Families – Relief Nursery
- Options Pregnancy Resource Centers
- OSU Healthy Youth Program, Linus Pauling Institute
- Philomath High School
- Senior Corps of Benton County
- Stone Soup Corvallis Inc.
- Vina Moses
- Willamette Neighborhood Housing Services
- Work Unlimited Support Living
- ABC House
- Boys & Girls Club of the Greater Santiam
- CASA of Linn County
- Family Tree Relief Nursery
- FISH of Albany and Lebanon
- Hand in Hand Farm
- Lebanon Basic Services
- Mid-Willamette Valley YMCA
- Meals on Wheels
- OBRIA Medical Clinics/Pregnancy Alternatives Center
- Senior Corps of Linn County
- St. Vincent de Paul
- Sweet Home Emergency Ministries
- Sweet Home Pregnancy Care Center
- Sweet Home School District
- Volunteer Caregivers
- CASA of Lincoln and Tillamook Counties
- Coastal Range Food Bank
- Community Services Consortium – Head Start
- Food Share of Lincoln County
- Lincoln County School District – JOY Project and LIFT Program
- Lincoln City Warming Shelter
- Neighbors for Kids
- North End Senior Solutions
- Olalla Center for Children and Families
- Meals on Wheels
- Seashore Family Literacy
- Senior Corps of Lincoln County
- Yachats Youth & Family Activities Program, Inc.
Learn more about Samaritan’s community benefit activities at samhealth.org/CommunityBenefit.