The end of summer brings a bountiful harvest of zucchini. This take on an Italian classic – pizza – will steal the show with flavor and no guilt. Packed with healthy fats, antioxidants, fiber and more, this heart-healthy recipe will be one that you turn to even when zucchini is out of season!
- 1 medium sized zucchini
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1½ ounces baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened marinara sauce
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. Wash produce and mince the garlic.
3. Slice the zucchini in half lengthwise and use a spoon to scrape out the seeds. Reserve these for later.
4. Place Zucchini boats on baking sheet.
5. Spread a tablespoon of marinara in the bottom of each boat.
6. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a skillet over medium-high heat. Once it’s hot, add the garlic and fry until lightly golden and fragrant.
7. Add the reserved zucchini seeds and baby spinach.
8. Cook, stirring frequently until the spinach just starts to wilt.
9. Season with salt and pepper.
10. Divide the zucchini seed and spinach mixture and spoon into each boat.
11. Top each boat with 2 ounces of goat cheese.
12. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the goat cheese is golden brown and the zucchini is fork tender.
13. Allow the finished pizza boats to rest for 5 minutes and drizzle with remaining olive oil.