Beets are a root vegetable, but the leaves can be eaten as well! They’re a great autumn Pick of the Month because of their flavor and vitamin content.
Pick some beets up today for your roasted veggie dishes and salads!
What’s so great about beets?
- You can eat the whole plant.
- Beets are a good source of B vitamins, folate and riboflavin.
- Multiple varieties of beets are available. Red beets are the most common type with a classic earthy flavor, golden beets have a more mellow taste and Chioggia beets are sweeter.
What’s the best way to eat beets?
- Beets can be steamed to easily slip the skin off.
- Roast them with the skin on with olive oil for a sweeter taste and softer bite.
- Use fresh sliced beets in salads or blend them into smoothies.
- Sauté beet greens with onion and garlic for a healthy side dish.