Vitamin D is essential to your overall health. It’s a vital nutrient that helps your body build strong bones and muscles. Try these tips to help boost your levels:
- Spend time in the outdoors - you can still absorb vitamin D even on cloudy days. Keep in mind sunscreen can block absorption of vitamin D and too much sun can lead to skin cancer, so be cautious of your sun exposure.
- Add foods that are high in vitamin D to your diet: egg yolks, mushrooms and fatty fish such as halibut, salmon, trout and tuna.
- Include fortified foods in your diet. Foods such as cheese, milk, orange juice and cereals often have extra nutrients added.
- Start taking a tablespoon of cod liver oil to get a big vitamin D punch.
- Take a vitamin D supplement – be sure to talk with your provider before starting any new supplement regimen.