Skip to Main Content

Scholarships for Residents of Benton County

If you live in Benton County, Samaritan Health Services offers several education scholarships for those seeking education in the medical field.

Jeanne Hazleton Scholarship

The Jeanne Hazleton Scholarship Fund was established in 2008 by Patrick Hazleton, husband of the late Jeanne Hazleton, and funded by numerous contributions made by family and friends. The purpose of the Jeanne Hazleton Scholarship Fund is to honor Jeanne’s lifetime of service and contribution to the community as a practicing doula and midwife and to encourage women to enter or continue their education in the birthing field. The scholarship program is coordinated by the Good Samaritan Hospital Foundation and is designed to help female residents of Benton, Lincoln and Linn counties begin or continue their education for doula and/or midwife training, certification or licensing.

For more information or to apply, download the Jeanne Hazleton Scholarship application.

John C. Erkkila, MD, Endowment for Health & Human Performance

Your organization or department is invited to submit funding proposals for the John C. Erkkila, MD, Endowment for Health and Human Performance. The fund is based with the Good Samaritan Hospital Foundation in Corvallis, Oregon, and total assets of the fund currently exceed $1.5 million. Individual grants of up to $20,000 are awarded annually.

This endowment was established in November 1994 through funds donated to the Good Samaritan Hospital Foundation by Ralph Hull of Monroe in honor of his longtime physician, John C. Erkkila, MD. The endowment stipulates that 90% of the interest earnings be distributed each year, with the remaining 10% added to the endowment principal. The purpose of the fund is to support programs and projects that enhance human function and performance through clinical research, rehabilitation and/or prevention.

Applications must be submitted by a health care provider or institution of higher education located in Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center’s service area (Benton, Lincoln or Linn counties). For funding guidelines, evaluation criteria and the formal application, click on the button below.

Virginia Welch Scholarship

Each year the Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center Auxiliary awards the Virginia Welch Scholarship to students planning to pursue a career in a medically-related field. The scholarship is named in honor of Virginia Welch, a head nurse who became Good Samaritan’s administrator in 1951 and served until 1967. To date, more than $277,000 has been awarded to students pursuing a career in health care.

High school seniors, undergraduate and graduate students currently enrolled in, or accepted to, a program to pursue a career in a medically related field in a hospital setting are eligible to apply.

Applications must be postmarked by April 17, 2023.

For more information, call Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center Volunteer Services at 541-768-5083" target="_blank">541-768-5083

Nursing Excellence Scholarship

 The Nursing Excellence Scholarship was established in 2013 in honor or memory of outstanding registered nurses at Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center in Corvallis. The purpose of the Nursing Excellence Scholarship is to provide scholarships to nursing students working toward an RN degree and who show leadership and clinical expertise and excellence.

For more information or to apply, download the Nursing Excellence Scholarship application.

Larry A. Mullins, DHA, Scholarship

The Larry A. Mullins, DHA, Scholarship was established in 2003 by the board of directors of Samaritan Health Services. It was formed in honor of Mullins, then president/CEO of Samaritan Health Services, upon the completion of his doctoral degree in health care administration from the Medical University of South Carolina.

The scholarship fund is housed with the Good Samaritan Hospital Foundation. Mullins chairs the selection committee for the scholarship. At least one scholarship of $2,000 is awarded annually from the fund.

To be considered for a Mullins scholarship, a candidate must be currently pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in a health care field. Mullins scholarships are available to individuals without regard to race, religion, national origin, gender, age, color, disability or marital status. Special consideration will be given to applicants who are currently employed in the health care field, members or veterans of the U.S. military and those who are willing to work in Oregon or Arizona. See application for other special considerations.

Completed applications are due the last Friday in April each year. Scholarship recipient(s) will be announced in late May. Scholarship funds will be mailed in July in the recipient’s name directly to the college/university indicated on the application. No funds will be released directly to the recipient.